You all know that I love to shop at Trader Joe’s for their healthy products and great prices (check out my Trader Joe’s Series Part 1, 2 and 3) but my other favorite place for great food and great deals is Costco. I think most people think that it’s just for the gigantic portions that you get for a wonderful value, but you can shop incredibly healthy and organic. Costco has really stepped up their game and I’m finding so many options for the way we eat and live; incorporating fresh, organic and vegetarian. Check out what I found this week. Let’s start with all the wonderful fresh produce…
1. Fresh Garlic ~ I use fresh garlic EVERY SINGLE DAY. This is one big bag of garlic and to be honest, I never really get through the whole bag without it going bad, I buy it anyway because for the price it’s worth it even if I don’t use the whole thing. If you’ve seen my first installment of my new series “Currently Reading”, I’ve been reading a wonderful health book called “The Daniel Plan”, it’s really motivated me to eat lots of whole foods and vegetables and to season my food with lots of garlic, onion and herbs.
2. Mixed Baby Squash ~ I buy as much fresh produce as I can. I hadn’t tried baby squash before so I bought it to give it a try.
3. Avocados ~ We eat lots and lots of avocados in our family. We love to make guacamole, put slices on toast with an egg on top, or add it to sandwiches. We can’t get enough.
4. Fresh Broccoli Florets ~ A giant bag of goodness. They say an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but I say it’s some broccoli a day, keeps the doctor away.
5. Organic Baby Bella Mushrooms ~ These mushrooms are delicious. My husband likes to slice them and then sauté in a little butter and soy sauce along with some cut up broccoli and seasons to taste. Sometimes he’ll put this on top of some bow tie pasta and then sprinkle some parmesan on top or he’ll put it on top of steak (poor guy’s gotta get his meat in every once in a while living in a house full of vegetarians). I like to slice them and add them to any veggies I’m sautéing, they make a great addition to a veggie omelette.
6. Fresh Corn on the Cob ~ a summer favorite or anytime of the year when available.
7. Organic Yellow Squash and Zucchini ~ a personal favorite of mine, I like to steam, sauté, or roast, I’ll eat it anyway I can. This is a nice big bag and I love that it’s organic.
8. Organic Blueberries ~ Put a bowl of blueberries or strawberries in front of my daughter Skye and they are gone before you know it. She’ll pick fresh fruit over chips any day. My daughter Sage likes to add these to her morning smoothies or smoothie bowls, she’s become quite the smoothie maker.
9. Cuties ~ My girls always loved these in their school lunches, I like to carry a snack with me at all times (another thing I picked up from the Daniel Plan) and this is always a good option, they also make for great sport snacks, an easy thing to bring when your “snack mom”.
10. Organic Green Beans ~ Roasted green beans are such an easy side dish and a family favorite.
11. Organic Deep Green Power Blend ~ Cannot say enough about this, I add it to sandwiches, sauté it with some onions and garlic or with other veggies. You can also sauté it with some tomatoes and serve it over pasta, or add it to smoothies. A great way to get your greens in. YUM!
12. Cauliflower Florets ~ all ready to cook any way you want.
13. Fresh Mango’s ~ a seasonal item, so get them while you can.
14. Organic Baby Spinach ~ You can use these just like the Power Greens or of course for a lovely Spinach salad.
15. Classic Baby Creamers Potatoes ~ I roasted this whole bag and then used them throughout the week. I served them as a side dish and also with eggs for breakfast. Really good, I just followed the directions printed on the bag.
16. Grape Tomatoes ~ I really like to use fresh grape tomatoes to top off pasta. I’ll sauté them in olive oil along with garlic and onions, sea salt and pepper and wait until the tomatoes start to blister and break open, serve on top of pasta with a little parmesan…delicious!!!
17. Roma Tomatoes ~ One of my favorite types of tomatoes, I use them for so many things: Caprese Salad, tacos, sandwiches, omelettes, or with avocado slices.
18. Celery ~ I like to add celery to soups, use for snacks and especially to cut up and eat with hummus.
19. Fresh Nectarines ~ definitely a summer item and I will be sad to see them go. We can’t get enough. Remember these wonderful recipes: Peach (nectarine), Yogurt & Pistachio Treats, and Refreshing Watermelon Pizza from this summer.
20. Fresh Pears ~ Another seasonal item, so good.
21. Organic Raspberries ~ Of course Skye will eat these all by themselves, but I like them in smoothies or on top of some banana ice-cream (just frozen bananas put in a blender).
22. Fresh Apples ~ you can always find a variety of apples at Costco all year long.
23. Organic Romain Hearts ~ If you wash these as soon as you get home and store them between paper towels and in a ziploc bag or tupperwear, the lettuce will keep really well. I like the large leaves because I use them for lettuce wraps, but they are also good for sandwiches, veggie burgers, or salads. It’s a lot of lettuce for a great price. Getting them washed and prepared is the trick here.
24. Onions ~ I cook a lot with onions, I add them to almost everything. I know most people say to store them in a cool dry place but I keep them in my extra refrigerator in the garage. They last a long time and won’t take up all the space in my kitchen refrigerator. I’ve never had any problem storing them this way.
25. Red Onions ~ same as above. I use red onions raw also, served on sandwiches and veggie burgers.
So that’s some of the produce I bought, here are some other great healthy things I found…
26. Pistachios ~ We eat them straight out of the bag or top them on salads or smoothie bowls or in the above mentioned recipes. They’re just wonderful.
27. Made Good Granola Minis ~ These where a great find: gluten-free and a great take-along snack or again a great thing when you’re snack mom.
28. Avocado Oil ~ Been reading a lot about the benefits of using Avocado Oil, haven’t tried it yet but I’ll give you an update when I do.
29. All Natural Smooth Peanut Butter ~ I normally buy my peanut butter at Trader Joe’s but I was all out and this was a great deal. So far we’ve already gone through one jar so I guess you could say, we’re sold.
30. Microwavable Organic Brown Rice ~ This is very popular at our Costco, so sometimes they are out. I try to keep this in my freezer at all times. I love the convenience and it’s so good. It also comes in white rice.
31. Multi-grain Bread ~ Somewhere along the way my kids got accustomed to white bread, which is funny because I always gave them either homemade bread (boy do I miss my bread maker) or healthy grain type breads. I gave them white bread once and now it’s a constant battle. So I’ve put my foot down and am trying to get everyone back to eating more whole grains or gluten-free. I don’t get to eat this, being gluten-free, but my family is eating it, so I guess I won this round.
32. Organic Eggs ~ love these, buy them every week.
33. Kettle Potato Chips ~ These are the Kirkland brand but I think they’re pretty close to the originals so I buy these pretty much weekly.
34. Sour Cream ~ I usually buy the organic sour cream from Trader Joe’s but my kids like sour cream on top of lots of things, so I went with this big giant tub and it’s been wonderful.
35. Fage Greek Yogurt ~ A staple in our house, we use this all the time.
36. Organic Spicy Hummus ~ I’m not a spicy fan so I did not try this but my family loved it.
37. Wedge of Gouda Cheese ~ What can I say, “It’s very Gouda” ha ha. Costco also sells wedges of Jarlsberg that is very good too.
38. Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese ~ Tried this for the first time, it was nice to have such a large amount as we use this a lot with pasta.
39. Chia Seeds ~ Love this big bag of chia seeds. I add chia seeds to as much as possible because they are so good for you. Add them to smoothies, your kids will never know.
40. Frozen Organic Sweet Potatoes ~ Have not tried these yet, but can’t wait too. So convenient, I’ll give an update after I try them.
41. Organic Red and White Quinoa Macaroni ~ Made these for lunch today, very good and a nice big bag for a great price.
So that’s a lot of great and healthy food I got from wonderful Costco. I’m always happy when my kitchen is full of good healthy food to prepare for my family. Hope you had a wonderful Labor Day weekend. I guess that means summer is officially over and it’s time to get ready for the fall. So sad, I love summer so much, until next year sweet summer.